Important notes regarding the role of Vice President of India | Vice- President in the Constitution of India | Important topics of Indian polity
So here we are providing the necessary short and important notes regarding the role and responsibilities of the President in the Constitution of India. According to the Part V of the Constitution which is the UNION which is under chapter I (The Executive) and it lists out the office of the Vice President of India. The Vice-President of India is the second highest constitutional office in the country. He serves for a five-year term, but can continue to be in office, irrespective of the expiry of the term, until the successor assumes office.
Acc to- Part-V of constitution- Chapter I-
Article 63: The Vice President of India
There shall be a Vice- President of India
Important notes regarding the Vice President in Constitution of India:
- Citizen of India
- More than 35 years of age
- Posses the qualification for members of rajya Sabha
- Not hold any office of profir under union, state or local authority. However for this purpose, the President, Vice- President, Governor of a state and a Minister of the Union or a state, are not held to be holding an office of profit.
Holds office for 5 years and can be re-elected.
Term can be cut short if he resigns or by a resolution of the Rajya sabha paased by a majority of all then members of the Rajya sabha and agreed to by the Lok sabha
He is the ex- officio chairman of Rajya sabha. Since he is not a member of Rajya sabha, he has no right to vote.
Being Vice- president of India, he is not entitled for any salary, but he is entitled to the salary and allowances payable to the chairman of the Rajya sabha
All bills, resolution, motion can be taken in Rajya sabha after his consent.
- Can discharge the position of President if the post falls vacant [for max 6 months]
When he discharges the function of president, the Vice- President shall not perform the duties of Chairman of rajya sabha and shall not entitled to receive the salary of the chairman. During this period, he is entitled for the salary and previliges of the president of India.
- Present salary is Rs. 85000/- per month